It’s been a remarkable week for two of Ensemble Cymru’s young stars, Collette Astley-Jones and Llinos Elin Owen, as they celebrate clinching exciting new jobs!
Ensemble Cymru, Resident Ensemble at Bangor University and Venue Cymru, gave Llinos her first job as a professional bassoonist more than ten years ago. During this time, Llinos has been a regular feature in the Ensemble’s concerts, most recently performing on the Pedr a’r Blaidd (Peter and the Wolf) national tour.
Now Llinos has an impressive new credit to add to her growing CV as she has just landed the job of sub principal bassoonist with the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, the orchestra for Birmingham Royal Ballet. Continue reading Double success for Ensemble Cymru talent
Music lovers in Bangor will be in for a special treat as Pontio prepares to host a one-off concert on 3 April featuring musicians from Ensemble Cymru and guest stars from the BBC National Chorus of Wales – including the Anglesey-born soprano, Llio Evans.
As part of Pontio’s Music At Bangor series, Bangor University and Venue Cymru’s resident ensemble, Ensemble Cymru, will be joined by the Mavron Quartet and singers from the BBC National Chorus of Wales for an unforgettable evening of music and song.
The evening’s programme will showcase music from the 18th through to the 20th century including Bach’s Coffee Cantata, Mendelssohn’s Octet and Messe Modale by Jehan Alain.
Ensemble Cymru’s Artistic Director, Peryn Clement-Evans said:
“Involving singers in the Ensemble has been something we’ve wanted to do ever since Ensemble Cymru started in 2001. With the help of members of the wonderful BBC National Chorus of Wales and its chorus master Adrian Partington, we have reached an important first milestone in establishing a vocal consort within the Ensemble. The prospect of bringing an even richer range of music for audiences, communities and schools across Wales is especially thrilling. In doing so, we look forward to creating more work opportunities for top class singers in Wales who want to join us in sharing our passion for chamber music.”
Ensemble Cymru musicians will be joined by a home-grown talent as soprano Llio Evans, originally from Llanfairpwll, returns to North Wales with other members of the BBC NOW chorus to perform in the concert. Llio said, “Coming home to perform is always such a pleasure as the North Wales audiences are the best, of course! Having the opportunity to work closely with the Ensemble Cymru musicians has been a real highlight for me and I’m really excited to see what the audience think of our collaboration.”
Music At Bangor: Ensemble Cymru with members of the Mavron Quartet and members of the BBC National Chorus of Wales
- Thursday 3 April 2014 | 8pm
- Powis Hall, Bangor University
- Duration: 2 hours (one interval)
- Tickets: £12 | £9 concessions |£3 student
£25 family ticket
- Tickets are available to purchase by phone 01248 382828 online via the Wales Millenium Centre or in person at the Pontio shop on Bangor’s High Street.
I can’t believe a year and a half has gone by since I first started working for the fabulous Ensemble Cymru as their Development Officer from my office in Cardiff. It’s been a very exciting time and I’ve loved working with such a lovely and talented bunch of people, particularly as I’m a very rusty amateur violin player!
Over the last year the Ensemble has achieved a huge amount. Some of the highlights for me have been:
• Taking our first national tour where we performed new works by the Welsh composers Christopher Painter and Gareth Glyn alongside works by Grace Williams, Dvorák and Dohnányi.
I particularly enjoyed meeting so many of our lovely donors:
• Recording Peter and the Wolf at the Ucheldre Centre in Holyhead, which couldn’t have been achieved without the support of our generous supporters including the Colwinston Charitable Trust, the Peter Saunders Trust and the Patsy Wood Trust.
• Taking part in the Big Music Challenge; we are enormously grateful to everyone who has supported this project to help us to take chamber music to communities of north Wales. We had a particularly good week to promote the challenge around north Wales during the first week in December. You can still support this exciting project by clicking here!
I’m really looking forward to the year ahead, which will include a national tour of Peter and the Wolf (we’ll be letting you know more about this in the new year).
I’m looking forward to helping to develop more opportunities to support and engage with the ensemble in 2013 – look out for these!
Have a very merry Christmas – we all look forward to seeing you at our concerts and events in 2013!